Translate

Monday 26 March 2018

The Interview 2








The Interview 2
Written by Onuzulike Somtochukwu



“Gena!!!!!  Genaaaaaa!”  The voice pierced through my subconscious. I staggered up and made for the door.
“Who is it?”   I yelled.  Wondering who could be visiting that early. The last thing I needed was a visitor.


“Open o jare!”  The voice yelled back! Realizing who it was, I sighed and reluctantly opened the latch on the door, she busted in full of energy as usual.
“I’ve been knocking for ages” she exclaimed!
“You should have used the door bell Becky”
 That’s what It’s made for” I replied rather sarcastically.
She rolled her eyes. She’s an expert on that
“You look horrible nne!”  She retorted, making her way into my small self contained apartment. I closed the door and followed her stiffly.
“So tell me how the interview went?” she asked throwing herself on my unmade bed.
“I rather not talk about it” I replied, blocking out taunting images of the previous day.
“Is it that bad?” she asked further, ignoring the scowl on my face.
“I said I don’t want to talk about it” I replied, my voice slightly a tone a higher.
“Alright, I’m on my way to church, It’s obvious you’re not going”
“I will see you on my way back perhaps by then you’ll be out of this sullen mood”  She retorted, walking past me.
 I was glad to be left alone. I closed the door after her and walked back to my bed. Ouch! My head hurts. I should wash up I thought, I undressed as I walked to the bathroom. Turning the shower knob cold prickly water came rushing. I stood still under it for a while, watching it cascade down my body and silently wished it could wash my sins away. I reached for soap.
Click!
The noise was soft but it sure wasn’t from me. I opened my eyes, sticking my head out of shower to listen.
 Click! Again! Yes I didn’t imagine it, I thought.
“Becky!”  I yelled.
“Did you forget anything?” I asked.
No sound.
 I turned off the shower.
Still no sound.
Perhaps I imagined it all I thought and turned on the shower again. I remembered closing the door but did I lock the latch I asked myself as i continued scrubbing my body. I quickly dismissed my worries and tried humming to calm my nerves.
My thoughts wandered to the interview the day before, I cringe.
You shouldn’t think about it Eugenia! I admonished myself. Forget it! Forget about CIKA! Forget him! Forget you ever applied. Better opportunities will present its self. You graduated top of your class cum laude. You’ll get a fine job soon and forget all this ever happened. It’s just the sorry state of this country; where biz girls make more money than an average man who strives day and night to feed his family. Politicians are the richest, scholars remain at the bottom. Any eloquent man in suit becomes a preacher and somehow convinces people he is sent from God by lampooning liquor barons and cursing corrupt politicians.
Creeeaaak!  I was roused from my reverie.
The sound of door opening?
My heart beat quickened. Someone is definitely in my apartment!  I turned off the shower realizing I’ve been in it too long.
Becky?  I called again. Who else? No one ever visits me and I don’t have neighbors either. I grabbed my towel and tiptoed to the bathroom door.  I hesitated, kneeling to peep through the key hole.
Nothing, Darkness.
 You’re just being paranoid I assured myself and turned the knob.  It didn’t yield! I pushed, it didn’t budge! What’s happening I asked myself, a cold shiver slid down my spine, I pushed, kicked, and yelled in panic.
Nothing, no sound.
An icy chill settled in my bones, I looked around for a possible weapon for whoever it is on the other side of the door. I found nothing just the shower bucket; I clutched it tightly and tried the door knob again. Locked!  Oh for heaven’s sake, this is not funny I yelled. Please open up!
Silence.
My already fertile imagination ran wild, robbers? There would be sounds of course.
Becky? It can’t be. She hasn’t done anything like this in all six years I’ve known her. She sure won’t have the strength to pull pranks on me at the drop of a hat, besides church service will still be on. My phone! I gasped. I usually shower with music playing from my cell phone, why today? Who is on the other side?  what is his or her plan, burn the house with me locked in? Rape? My head spun as I tried to process my situation.
The scent of expensive perfume wafted to my nostrils and I heard a gentle scrape of a footstep. My eyes bulged, No No it can’t be! My heart nearly stopped as I noticed a shadowy movement from under the door making its way towards the bathroom. It paused, fear pounded through my brain. A dozen horrid scenarios flashed behind my eyes, what if this is it? “Oh lord no please, am sorry for my wrongdoings, have mercy Baba! Save me from this” I wailed without actually uttering a word.
I looked again the shadow was no longer there. I listened, still no sound. Has my assailant gone? I couldn’t summon up enough courage to turn the door knob again. I strained, listening, no sound. I waited seconds… minutes…perhaps hours. I wasn’t sure.
Then I heard it again! Footsteps.
Oh wait! This one is louder, more firm not from someone who is trying to be quiet. No it’s a woman’s shoes; I heard my entrance door open.
‘Genaaaa!???” Becky’s voice sang.
  I’ve never been more glad as I was that moment hearing Becky’s voice.
‘Becky!!’  I yelled back in sweet relief.
“Where are you? The bathroom?’” She asked completely oblivious of my predicament.
She turned the door knob.
“What, You locked yourself in?”  She asked.
“How?” She asked further, turning the key.
I was glad to be free! I hugged her tightly!  If only she knew how scared I had been.
“What? You acted like you didn’t want to see me in the morning, now you’re giving out free hugs” she laughed.
I walked past her to my bedroom, everything was intact. My cell phone! I grabbed it. opening  instantly it to check for anything weird or out of place.
“Young lady start talking!’” Becky whined.
I looked at her; she looks funny when she’s lost or confused.  A small grateful smile played on my lips.
“It’s Him” I said.
“Who?”She inquired.
“Saleh” I answered.
“And who is Saleh?” she asked, confused.
“The interview!” I answered impatiently.
“He’s the managing director of CIKA Nigeria”
“Wait!  Gena you’re too fast…You’re on first name basis with your prospective boss already?”
“And he did what exactly?”
“He isn’t my boss! I didn’t get the job!  at least not yet, see Becky someone came in here while I was bathing,”
“someone locked me in and I’m sure its him!”I blurted.
She stared at me wide eyed.
 “someone came in here?’’  She asked looking around.
  Just then I realized my clothes the ones I left on the floor after undressing there were not there anymore.
“my clothes!”
I left my clothes here! The one I had on this morning…
“You mean these ones” Becky asked pointing at the wardrobe
“He hung them” I half-whispered.
“Slow down Gena” Becky admonished.
 “why would someone so distinguished come here, lock you in, hang your clothes and go, E no make sense at all!”
“I don’t know! But I intend to find out!” I yelled, my head spinning.
“This might be robbers o! you can never tell”  She said walking towards the entrance door to close it.
“No am sure it’s him” I said with finality.
“What exactly happened in the interview?”
“Sit down first” I urged her.

2 comments: