Translate

Saturday 15 October 2016

The end as it was.


The end.
A short story by Onuzulike Somtochukwu


‘You don’t really  remember what  happened?’ he asked looking at the roof of the burnt car we’ve lived in since I opened my eyes… the fire we made outside crackled little sparks  flying in different directions
‘Of course I don’t’ I replied..staring at his dirty chipped nails, my head pounded! when it aches this much,
he usually helps by putting a cold dirty piece of cloth on my forehead, but now he’s  barely even looking at me. He’s an odd sort.. this Bello.
‘Ok I’ll tell it to you as I remember it …it’s left to you to believe it! But I swear by God or anything you believe in that this is the truth!’ he announced
I nodded.
He began ‘You see brother it might be just the both of us now, believe it brother for it happened before my very own eyes.There was something weird about that morning.. Something different I tell you, everyone was happy, smiled and greeted each other..My boss never addressed me without a scowl, but that morning he patted me on the shoulder with a huge grin on his face as I picked up the packages for that day to distribute.  Am a distributor you see, Oh I was distributor forgive me brother.. my job was to distribute daily packages to different pharmacies around town, I loved that job it was easier  than my job in the coal mine....Well, that morning there was this thing in the air like i said everyone was happy.. I felt it too, I whistled loudly as I drove off in the company’s car.. I had a routine, I distribute to the urban areas first then to the few pharmacies in the rural area. By 12. Pm that day I was already done with the pharmacies around town……’
He paused and scratched his big old head, I was glad that my headache was reducing to a dull throb so I can focus..then he continued not bothering to look at me at all
‘You see brother, that was when the first flash happened I had already stopped at the first pharmacy in the rural part of the town.. I was helping the old lady who owned it pack the drugs into her store when it happened.  Suddenly everywhere became bright!  Too bright in fact!.. it was like a camera flash, or lightning during daytime… only brighter!… I tried to look up Oh brother I was lucky! My worn out sun glasses that I wear often when going to these rural parts because of the dusty roads I still had them on… those glasses saved my sight….who would have thought that cheap old thing will..’ he chuckled
He continued ‘But it did brother! It did.. for everyone who did look up…wasn’t able to see anything anymore.. I ran inside the store grabbing the old lady’s flailing arms, she couldn’t see anymore…they were screams! …. My brain was trying to process what was happening, my intestines knotted in fear.. then everything became normal again… I knew something was terribly wrong!  it looked surreal there were still screams… some religious fanatic was yelling “judgement day! Lord take me! I told them! I told them all!” .. I tried to see what was happening as I tiptoed outside
‘Then the second flash came…. It was even more blinding than the first…brighter than any light could be, I  fell on my knees…. With my eyes closed and tried to make my way back to the store were the old lady was praying furiously recounting her sins and asking for forgiveness,you see brother at the point of death people turn to God...even those who claim they don't believe in him.   Then the explosion came, the sound was deafening! It knocked me off! Unconscious!....i was having glitches like a computer system..regaining consciousness and going off into oblivion again..but I remember all that I saw in those moments..i know this sounds crazy brother! But you have to believe me …. Lights or rather fireballs fell from the sky as the explosions continued.. I heard noises.. I heard screams for help…I saw fire! yellow-red blazing flames!  but I myself was in darkness pinned down by something heavy..  I don’t know how long it lasted but when I finally opened my eyes it was quiet ..too quiet in fact and pitch black too….i worked tirelessly to come out of the ditch I was in..it took soo long but I finally made it , my fingers were bleeding badly but I barely noticed… I walked around ..thick smoke was everywhere with huge craters on the road, the worst was the darkness, it was too dark!.. but I walked on… sometimes on all fours  feeling everywhere with my hands ..You see brother it has never been bright again since then, the sun is gone! Destroyed…’
I shuddered… wondering why all I could remember was when I opened my eyes here, with him..
‘And me ?’ I asked
He looked at me then… piercing eyes, darker than the night, with the reflection of the fire crackling outside in it..
He answered ‘ I was beyond happy when I heard somebody whimper, because  I walked in the darkness for a long long time.. must have been days, without food or water .. I called out but you didn’t answer.. I made my way towards the sound.. and I found you in a car, I still believe you were sent to help me, because I would have died of loneliness, heartbreak and fear faster than lack of food and water..But there you were and I fought desperately to keep you alive.. I found your lighter, ashtray, and a bottle of water..you see why I say you’re an angel brother!
This is my car? I asked still in shock
Oh no no! he answered.. I moved you .. And I found some food
Then he smiled wryly… ‘we survived miraculously but we can only survive for too long before the food finishes’ he said
You see brother!, we will surely die at some point.. but we can only hope we aren’t alone in this dark, cold world… we can only hope someone saves us!
I looked into his dark eyes again and wished someone will wake me up from this horrible dream..
But no one did.


12 comments:

  1. I'm actually impressed ...remind me to send u smefin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nigerian cuisine reports...thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Quite captivating I must confess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm somtochukwu were u having the future supernova explosion of our sun wen it runs out of hydrogen fusion gas I. 5billion years to come???... This is all this grilling piece reminds me of...science has describe that the brightness of the aupernovi flash will be so powerful like a thousand suns in one second n notin will survive it... Nice one gal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm somtochukwu were u having the future supernova explosion of our sun wen it runs out of hydrogen fusion gas I. 5billion years to come???... This is all this grilling piece reminds me of...science has describe that the brightness of the aupernovi flash will be so powerful like a thousand suns in one second n notin will survive it... Nice one gal

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ade,yes a little bit of science and a lot of creative imagination.Thank you for reading.

    ReplyDelete